Last month the AMAZING, talented & ever so experienced Donna Mee came to Australia to teach a private Contouring and Highlighting masterclass.
Keeping a finger on the pulse of the latest makeup and beauty trends I snapped up a ticket, lined up 30mins prior seriously eager to get a front row seat in the action!
In brief here are some of her 'highlighting' informed quotes from the days seminar;
- Attention goes first look to whatever is darkest colour firstly the face. Then it follows the line/angle
- Upward angles: attractive youthful fun
- Downward: tired, droop, old
- Inner rim hugs her eye and makes the eye look more lifted
- Corrective makeup 'science of light and dark' or 'contouring & highlighting
- Dark colours (contours). Make things appear smaller & appear to reduce
- Light colours (highlights). Make things appear larger & draws in your attention. Make things appear more pronounced
Imagine the face as a clay sculpture - where you would push back shade etc
- Black and white is best way to see where to highlight or contour
- Don't always highlight under the brow
- To bring an area forward some areas need an 'extra' lighter
- Shaping a nose don't do 'strips' and buff out. Darker where we need to know I back
AND FINALLY MY FAVOURITE: Highlighting should be ultra sheer and just a 'halo' of colour.